Call for Nominations: 2022 BWI Awards
BWI AWARDS 2022
POWER TO THE PEOPLE
Call for Nominations
Nominations are now open for the BWI Awards 2022! The deadline to present candidates for the Awards is on 1 August 2022, 12.00 CET
Achieving the goal of our global organization to get “Power to the People” is a shared responsibility. The BWI Awards cherish the work of BWI affiliates or individual members in building-construction, building materials, and timber-based industries for outstanding achievements and commitment in defending the values of democracy, human rights, tolerance, non-discrimination, social and climate justice and inclusivity, sometimes with personal sacrifices. They also aim at highlighting and disseminating exceptional examples of union engagement in recognition of the militancy of our movement against overarching system challenges.
BWI accepts nominations in 3 categories:
- Fair Games: In recognition of the organisation, individual or group of individuals or of organisations that can best demonstrate an outstanding commitment in the fight against the exploitation and abuse of construction workers, many of whom are migrant workers, in the building of mega-sporting events.
- Climate Justice: Will be awarded to the organisation, individual or group of working people or organisations that have devoted their militancy on the ground with dedication and persistence to achieve concrete results for workers and their communities to advance workers’ protections against the climate crisis and for climate justice.
- Rights for All: For those who have shown exceptional commitment in the struggle for democracy, peace and human rights, and against submission to force that sometimes come with personal sacrifices.
Once the award nomination period closes, an independent jury nominated by the BWI World Board will evaluate all entries and decide on the Laureate based on unanimity. The Jury will shortlist three Finalists for each category and select one winner for each category. The Laureate of the Awards will be presented at the BWI Congress on 5-7 October 2022.
To qualify to win, the initiative should:
- Aim to create an enabling organising environment free from fear for the most vulnerable categories of workers, often migrant, in BWI industries or around mega-sporting events.
- Show exceptional dedication, courage, persistence, energy and determination to defend human rights.
- Impact or have the potential to impact the greater community through increased awareness, sustainability and justice reached or aimed for.
- Have been carried out within the past 4 years.
Submit an Award Nomination
BWI affiliated organisations, individual or group of individuals or of organisations are eligible for nominations. Groups will be considered as one entry.
To submit an application:
- Download and complete the form in one of the official languages of BWI (EN, FR, DE, ES)
- Send the completed form specifying the “BWI Awards nomination” in the subject line to gs(at)bwint.org by 12am CEST on Monday, August 1, 2022
- If you do not receive a confirmation within 5 working days, please follow up with Paola Cammilli at paola.cammilli(at)bwint.org